The common reasons why so many people use a microwave is for quick, easy cooking and secondly to save the power bill. It is widely believed that a microwave can save your energy, but a study by the Canadian Government showed that you only save a grand total of $10 a year in electricity costs if you use a microwave instead of a conventional oven. Only 30-40% of the energy used is actually used to cook the food, the rest is wasted.
The Canadian Cancer Society website states: When you heat food in the microwave using plastic containers or wrap, chemicals may leach out of the container into the food increasing your risk of cancer.
What is so commonly known is that cooking milk, cheese, meat and fish, the high protein foods creates abnormal amino acids that are neurotoxic, which means they can kill off some of your brain and nerve cells, and can be toxic to the liver and kidneys. One third of all ovens tested in earlier makes, failed to heat food uniformly to a temp that will kill bacteria or listeria. Learn more in the main article.